Card Response

Thank you for your quick response…As I have asked, please share here any experiences with Insurance Company’s, Adjusters, Agents, Cleaners, Builders or Restoration Companies…..either good or bad as we are trying to identify problems for anyone in the future so they do not have to suffer a long adjustment after the trama to their home or business…

13 Responses to “Card Response”

1. Deeply Greatful says:

My experience with Brian Brimingham has a tremendous impact on my life…My house had burned and Traveler’s Insurance Company was taking their sweet time in trying to resolve my claim…I had lost so many of my valubles and sunk into a deep depression.. A friend of mine recommended I speak with Brian, as he is a Public Insurance Adjuster,
    and may be able to help.. I reluctantly called him as at this point but I figured I had nothing else to lose.. Much to my surprise Brian was able to settle my claim very quickly and get me a fair settlement and back on my feet.. Thanks a million Brian….

2. Hugh Hawkins says:

When our house burned, a neighbor that very night suggested going to a public adjuster, specifically Brian Birmingham. The whole concept was new to us.
    We called Brian, and gained much both psychologically and economically from his support.
    When soon after the fire, our insurance agent called to say a check was about to be sent, I said we were working only through a public adjuster. His angry response showed me we had done the right thing.

3. Robert Gardner says:

Brian resolved two unrelated insurance claims for me in a most satisfactory and professional manner. The first claim occurred about 10 years ago, when the boiler in my furnace suddenly developed a crack, which also caused some damage to the finished basement area of my house. The boiler was about only 10 years old at the time, and the heating company I contract with told me the crack occurred due to a malfunctioning $30 valve that allowed cold water to flow into a hot boiler at the wrong moment, and that this was what caused the crack. The insurance adjuster insisted that that the boiler cracked because of rust damage, and that insurance wouldn’t cover a new boiler. They did pay for a clean up company to help dry up damp carpets etc, but the adjuster didn’t discuss have any repairs of water damage in his report. When I pursued the matter, he said they needed to remove the boiler to take it to a shop where it could be cut open to inspect for rust damage. Surprise! After their people took away the boiler and cut it open, they found that rust had caused the crack. At that point, the manager of the heating company recommended that I contact Brian. Brian made a thorough inspection of the basement area and found substantail water damage to the carpet and some damage to the walls. He also asked the insurance company’s adjuster to look at my boiler, which was still in their shop somewhere or other. A second surprise: they had conveniently thrown away the boiler , and there was no evidence left for Brian (or anyone else) to inspect. Brian’s damage report, which included the cleanup, the boiler, and the water damage it caused, came to 5 or 6 times the price of the boiler alone, (which I would have probably settled for prior to talking to him.) The insurance company’s adjuster stonewalled it, and we were unable to resolve the matter until Brian threatened to bring a suit for triple damages because of insurance company’s failure to meet their contractual obligations. They very quickly changed their tune, and they offered to settle the claim for something like 85% or 90% of the figure in Brian’s damage report.

The second time I needed to contact Brian was last year, after an oak floor in the family room started to buckle from water damage I later found out was caused by an ice dam. The insurance company adjuster came out the day after I called, and told me to get a water damage company to help dry up the floor and interiors of walls, and patch up the roof. The company also did handled repair work as well, and as the area started to dry out, they repair guy came out to assess the repair work. He said insurance would only cover sanding and refinishing the floor in the room where the damage occurred (despite the fact that the oak floor is continuous throughout the entire first floor), plus repairing and painting the wallboard where holes had been poked to look for water damage. He also said any damage to the clapboard or exterior part of the house would not be covered on insurance because it was “normal wear and tear.” I called the adjuster, who had not looked at the house after his first visit,
    and asked if he was going to come to the house to assess the damge, since it now looked to be significantly more extensive that I had original understood it to be. He said “No – I don’t need to do that. I know the repair company you’re working with, and they’re very knowledgable. I will accept their assessment of the damages.” Very Convenient! After hearing that,I immediately called Brian.
    There was extensive water damage to the exterior and interior of the house.
    Moreover, the exterior damage, which was hidden rot caused by water caused by improperly installed siding when the house was built about 20 years ago,
    my insurance contract specifically provided insurance for hidden water damage that is suddenly revealed by an event like an ice dam (the ice had poke a hole
    the size of a baseball in the siding, creating the water damage inside the house.). After many months of inspections and wrangling with the insurance company’s adjuster, they agreed to a settlement of over 30k, which was about 10 times the amount their adjuster was originally willing to cover. The funny part of the story is this: after Brian submitted his damage report to the insurance company, I received a phone call from someone at the agency where I bought the insurance. She said “I’m not really supposed to be making this phone call since you’ve contracted with an independent adjuster, but I’m doing it out of a sense of obligation to our clients. You should know that Brian Brirmingham is completely unreliable and you shouldn’t believe anything he says. We would like to work with you in resolving this claim, and I’d like to ask if you’d be willing to discuss this with me?” I’m not sure if she actually heard me say “NO!” as I slammed down the phone, but I’m sure she got the message
    anyway. Later, when I told the story to Brian, we both got a good laugh out of it. He told me that it was of course illegal for the agency to be contacting me in this way, but what made it funny was the question he followed this up with:
    “Who do you think the owner of the agency called a while back when he had a large insurance claim to make on his own homeowner’s insurance?”

Brian is extremely knowledgable about the insurance industry, insurance law and contracts, and the many technical and financial aspects of building repairs. Everything he has ever told me in regard to the assessment of damages,
    the costs of repairs, and the extent to which my homeowner’s insurance should cover the costs have been completely accurate and have been confirmed by the settlements I eventually received. He is also a nice guy and a very easy person to work work with, which takes a lot of the stress out of a stressful situation.

Although I hope the need never arises again, I would have absolutely no hesitation to ask him to resolve another insurance claim for me. After my last two experiences. I wouldn’t trust the report of an adjuster working for an insurance company again.

4. Ellen S says:

Hi Brian,
    I hope all is well with you and your family I received your card asking for a response concerning how my insurance company handled my property claim.after thinking about it 3 things come to mind. First, lack of a timely response. I can remember you and I talking about how we had not heard from them on several occasions. It seemed as though they were trying to string us along. Second, the would not combine two claims into one. In order for us to challenge this, we would have had to hire an engineer– too expensive. Third, of course I got dropped by my insurance company for having three claims over a particular period of time. If I come up with anything else I will e-mail you

5. Danny says:

I am fortunate that I have not had to file any property claims for almost a decade. When I was forced to in the past I was very glad to be represented by a Public Adjuster who was helpful in working through the myriad of red tape. I felt confidant that Mr Birmingham would be an advocate for me and help me maximize the claim so that I could recover from whatever home related problem that I encountered. Thank You Brian for all the work that you do.

6. Bob A says:

Dear Mr Birmingham,

As you may recall, I had a fire loss on a rental property over 15 years ago.

I tried to deal with my insurance company directly, and i specifically avoided using your services as a public adjuster because i assumed the insurance company would deal with me fairly.

The offered me $27,500 for damages that could not possibly be repaired by that figure. The insurance company adjuster tried to browbeat my general contractor into cutting corners and leaving me with a building that would be worth far less then the one that was there before the fire.

Eventually, I became frustrated and distrustful of my insurer, and retained your services as my pubic adjuster.

The claim was eventually settled for over 90,000.

I felt that my insurance company was so dishonest and deceitful that I eventually sued my insurance company for unfair claims practices. I am not a lawsuit-happy person. I hate the fact that we live in a lawsuit-crazy society. But I was so jerked around and lied to, that i pursued the suit on general principal. I won that lawsuit.

I feel MA should encourage the use of public adjusters, because most insureds are under the delusion that the insurance company adjuster is out to help them out. But in my case I discovered that just the opposite was the case. I am very grateful for the job that certified public adjusters do on behalf of clients in Ma.

7. Jennifer S. says:

Dear Mr. Birmingham

The only claim I have ever had to make on this house was back in 1994 I think i remember the only good thing that happened was that i hired you. The insurance company its self was so difficult to deal with prior to hiring you that i was not going to make the claim at all. It was at that point of frustration that a friend told me I could hire an adjuster that would work for me and not the insurance company to assist in getting the proper amount of money to really fix the problem which was an ice related roof issue.

The other issue that i found to be intolerable was that once the claim was made, it was made known to me that I would that I would never be able to make another claim about that particular part of my home. The exact same thing happened the next year, which was the ice damming up on one side of my roof that caused a leak, nothing that i could have prevented even if the roof was brand new, i could not file again.

I was and am still appalled at the home insurance business in Massachusetts and the fact that it is not regulated in the least. The state needs to intervene and regulate home insurance and what can be charged, when a company can turn someone away AND the state offered company needs to play by the same rules and no jack the price up because they know if you are coming to them you have no other options.

Anyway, I hope this is the kind of thing is what you were looking for and while I have not spoken to you in over 10 years, I remember how kind you were and how much you helped me with my claim. i tell as may people as i can about your company and if I *ever* have a home owners claim again I know who to call.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

8. As insurance claim dispute appraisers, we have heard very good things about this public adjusting firm.

9. Sincerely, your piece goes to the greatest marketplace of the matter. Your pellucidity leaves me desirous to know significantly extra. I’m going to instantly grab your nourish to maintain up consequently far together together with your internet web site. Alleging thank you is just my little way of claiming wonderful job for outstanding resource. Let In my nicest wishes for your inflowing publish.

10. Messer says:

Great web site. A lot of useful info here. I am sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you to your sweat!

11. Hello there, just become aware of your weblog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate when you proceed this in future. Many other people will likely be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

12. Hi everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at this web page, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful in support of me,
    keep up posting these types of articles.

13. onet says:

Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may I am getting that kind of info written in such a perfect manner?
    I’ve a challenge that I’m simply now working on,
    and I have been on the glance out for such info.